Typography Images


Typography is the art of words. Literally, its making different styles or a different appearances of text. Did that make sense? Hopefully... Typography can be used with images to make a lasting impact by making the images more interesting. You'll want to look at the image longer to decipher the text. You can read over the text first, and once you're done with that, look back on the image as a whole. Typography is a great technique to make your image memorable.

The biggest challenge I faced while creating typography portraits was having patience. I made plenty of mistakes, since it was my first time experimenting with this project, so I obviously messed up a bunch. It was difficult to follow the steps to tutorial one, two, and three, which we were supposed to learn the project from. Partially because I didn't understand a lot of the language. I'm not really much of a computer person, so I don't understand a lot of computer terms. Patience is important so that you don't get frustrated and give up. I was able to stick it out until I was finished with my project, but just barely. I was close to giving up.

 My first example of a Typography portrait is of Marie Curie, an amazing female innovator. This was the portrait done with the first tutorial, which was also the "easiest" method. In this portrait, the text is very neat and organized, and is placed throughout the photograph. It is also only limited to black and white in color. My second example was done with the second tutorial. This is a portrait of one of the fabulous teachers that work at my school. It was super fun to create. This was a little bit more advanced. We had to make our own custom brushes of descriptive text to stamp on

the photo. We added gradients for a bit of color on this piece. My last example was our portrait of ourselves. This was the most advanced typography portrait method that we learned. We learned this version from the third tutorial.  The idea was that we were to stamp different descriptive text about ourselves in different color on each different light tone. That probably doesnt make any sense sense... We stamped different words that describe us on the different lighter and darker shadows. It wasn't a requirement to add text in the background, but I did it anyways because I liked it better that way. The three major words I chose for myself were Strange, Stubborn, and Artist. The main color I chose was purple because its a mix of the coolest and warmest colors- blue and red. I really enjoyed creating this piece as well, and it was actually probably my favorite to make. I loved how we had more freedom with this piece with our text and color choices. The assignment was to create a typography portrait that describes us. Based off of the colors I chose, the messiness/neatness/spacing of the text, and the text itself, I'm very proud of my work, and really think I've completed the assignment well.




No comments:

Post a Comment