Scratch Game Design




(^^this one doesn't work lol so don't even try. I had a class period to do everything and I'm not too good at coding. *sighs*)



(^^control this one with your mouse)

Oh GT class, how you love to mess with my brain. This time I'm here with another brand new project: Coding. Over the past couple weeks my classmates and I have been programming a simple chase game. User experience influenced how I coded because in my chase game I chose an octopus, and, well, *looks at blog URL* it was the closest I could get to a squid. Squids are cool. I tried to make the game simple and not too difficult since I'm so new to the coding thing.

The first two games I coded are both very different. The first one is a chase game, in which the code and concept were fairly simple. The second one is a platformer game. This one was a lot more difficult. I never even quite got the code right. It's a much more complex code and I only had a class period to complete it so I never had the chance to fix it. The concept of the two of them is a little bit similar, I guess. I mean they're sort of the opposites though. In the first, you're being chased, in the second, you're basically chasing.

My best code was the gravity engine I made for the platformer. Unfortunately, after half the class period of it working fine, it stopped working. So the gravity engine was also my biggest bug and I still haven't had the chance to fix it. It's quite a difficult script to wrap your mind around so I had to just copy a little bit of the code and then tweak it.

9 comments:

  1. It's a really nice game that has a nice pace to it.
    I suggest a "follow octopus" script so you cannot just stay in a single spot to win.
    I like the whole single shark idea, so it makes the game do-able

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the shark moves smoothly.
    Maybe you can use the "If key (up arrow) pressed" block and inside it put "change y by (10)" and "point in direction" blocks. (Or you can see inside mine and good to the elephant to see how I made it move.)
    Overall great game though! Nice sprites used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the ocean theme you chose
    I think you could've used a "follow octopus" script to make the game a bit more complicated because you can stay in one spot to win
    I like how smooth the shark and the octopus move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work on choosing the characters to match the background. The movements of both sprites are not very smooth. I suggest you create more movements for the sharks, I can just stay in one place and win. I like how you only use one shark to chase the octopus, it does not get confusing as other people's game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Celeste! Love how when the shark tags you he says "lol gotcha" but try to make your octopus sprite move more smoother. Overall great job love your characters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the sprites and how they match the background. The game is a little off lol when I try to jump the prince goes straight down and doesn't come back. Another thing I like is the theme of the game and how the background changes each level but then still stays with the same theme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Celeste! This is the 3rd time I have written this comment. I keep accidentally deleting it (Xo). Anyway I am stuck in the same boat as you and considering you only had one class period to work on it, I think it turned out good!
    One thing that I think you did well was your simulated gravity. I know that Prince Charming falls through the Earth, but the actual jumping looks really smooth and realistic.
    One thing you could improve upon would be to make it so the ground and the platforms are the same shade of green so the color censor could work (Here is a good link about color censors: http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Touching_Color_()%3F_(block) and you can change the colors to match each other by clicking on the color in the block, and then selecting the color you want with your mouse from your stage.)
    Another thing I like about your game is how the backgrounds change to create levels but stay the same theme of a castle. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the theme of your game with the princess and the prince! SO CUTE! Maybe, when you get enough time to actually focus on the coding (I saw your comment on your game) just try to make sure that your prince can actually stand on the blocks XD. Anyways, for not having a lot of time, the moving of your characters is really smooth and nice looking. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Celeste! I love your chase game! You can make make it better by making the octopus run a little smoother. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete